Thursday, February 16, 2006

 

Sadie Susan Mitchell

Sadie Susan MITCHELL was born 27 Feb 1881 in Hardin Co., Ohio to Thomas MITCHELL and Ellen BLANCET. She was the 10th of 13 children. She married Lorenzo Dow ASH 22 Nov 1898 in Hardin Co., Ohio. They had 4 children, Ovan, born May 1900, died before 1910. Sylvia D., born 29 April 1901 in Marion, Marion, Ohio, died 18 Apr 1989 in West Palm Beach, FL. Della Malinda, born 5 Nov 1905 in Marion, Marion, Ohio, died 20 Aug 1948 in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Arthur born 10 Feb 1908 died 20 Mar 1908 in Marion Co., Ohio. Sadie and Lorenzo were divorced in April 1919. On the 1920 census Sadie was living in Marion, Ohio with just her daughters. On 22 Oct 1922 Sadie married Charles W Klingel in Marion, Ohio. They divorced in 1928 and she took back the name of ASH. About 1927 Sadie and both of her daughters, Della and Sylvia and their families moved to Newark, New Jersey . She was living with her daughter Sylvia when she died on 28 Nov 1941 in East Orange, New Jersey. She is buried in Otterbein Cemetery, Hardin Co. Ohio. From what my mother and Aunts have told me my great grandmother was a confinement nurse. My mother would go over to her house to help her clean and her grandmother would make beans and cornbread. Mom asked her where she learned to cook them because her mother never cooked them. Her grandmother said that it was an old southern dish. I have since learned that Sadie’s mother was from Alabama. Sadie was a very religionist lady. She did not believe in dancing and the movies. On Sundays you were suppose to go to church and read the Bible. My mother remembers that her mother would let them go to the movies on Sundays, but told them to make sure that they did not tell their grandmother where they were going. I have a copy of a letter that Sadie wrote to her granddaughter Jeanne and a postcard that she sent to her when she was visiting her brother Minor in Marion, Ohio. I only have one picture of Said, but in it I can see which side of the family I take after. My Aunts and mother keep telling me I am a lot like their grandmother.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?