Thursday, November 05, 2020

 

Della Malinda ASH

I will start my story with my material grandmother, Della Malinda Ash Hopkins Shaw. Della Melinda ASH was born 5 Nov 1905 to Lorenzo (Lou) D. ASH and Sadie Susan MITCHELL. She had one older sister and 2 brothers. Both of the brothers died when they were infants. Della, the third child, was born in Marion, Marion Co., Ohio. She died 20 Aug. 1948 in Chatham, Essex, New Jersey. She is buried in Hollywood Memorial Park, Bloomfield, New Jersey. She married Gerald George HOPKINS on 7 May 1924 in Monroe, Michigan. The Marion Daily Star reported that she wore a grey and blue crepe dress and carried ophelia roses. My aunts birth certificates indicated that Gerald was born between March and September 1905 to Nellie MOUCK/MOCH and “Duke” HOPKINS.

 My mother told me that her mother told her that when Della and Gerald were dating Gerald use to draw beautiful pictures on the tablecloths and the restaurant would keep them. Della and Gerald had 3 daughters. Jeanne Virginia, born in Marion, Marion, Ohio. Doris (Dot) Mae, born in Somerville, Sussex, New Jersey. Geraldine (Gerry) Marie, born in Glen Ridge, Essex, New Jersey, died 27 April 2007 in Helena, MT. About 1927 Della, Gerald and daughter Jeanne moved from Ohio to Newark,New Jersey, along with Della’s sister Sylvia and husband Robert BROWNLEE and their mother, Sadie ASH. While living in Somerville, New Jersey, my mother Doris was born. Gerald was working on a dairy farm at this time. My mother told me that she remembers that her mother use to talk about sitting under the tree in the field where she would wait for Gerald to come for his lunch. They later moved back to Montclair before Geraldine was born. Sometime in early 1932 Gerald left his family to go get his paycheck and he never returned. So Della raised her three daughters alone. For 7 years with the help of the local welfare office they looked for Gerald. There was no trace. According to family stories, in about 1940 Della had him declared legally dead so that she could go on with her life. In about 1942 Della married Bill SHAW. Bill later went off to war. Della died 20 Aug 1948 from cancer. I have been very fortunate that my mother and both of her sisters live in Boulder and that I got to talk to they about their family. They have told me many wonderful stories about when they grew up. I know that her daughters wish that they had had more time with their mother. They said that Della had a wonderful sense of humor and loved to go places and do things with her girls. She must have been a very strong woman and a very loving person to raise three girls alone. I think that she did a great job, because my Mom and both of my Aunts are great ladies who would help anyone in need and they all have a great sense of humor. It is a shame that she died before her grandchildren could get to know her.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?